Monday, January 23, 2012

The Weird and Wonderful

The Weird and Wonderful
16x20"
Acrylic on Canvas
Painting #72 - This is my third painting for the, "Love Lies Bleeding" Ballet competition. Apparently the song, Bennie and the Jets is about a popular style of dress in the 70's called, "Glam Rock". This style was defined by outrageous outfits and gaudy sunglasses and in the song, an extension of Elton's personality. I depicted the ballet dancers from the Alberta Ballet dancing to Bennie and the Jets. Since I'm painting an Elton song, I had to throw in a piano.

3 comments:

  1. By far my favourite so far! This one is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristina - you're so kind. I wish I would have talked to you tonight. I struggled with whether or not to keep the music notes that were on the piano keys in this painting. As you can see, I painted them out this evening. I think the paintings stronger without them.... I look forward to hearing your opinion. Did I make the right decision?

      Delete
  2. Although I enjoyed the music note detail (you know me...), I think you are right. It is a much more graphic statement without - the black/white isn't interrupted. Still my favourite!

    ReplyDelete